|Operating system||Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Windows Phone, Linux|
|Available in||English, French, German, Hungarian, Spanish|
- Sync.com and Tresorit are two of the best cloud storage services on the market. With a clear dedication to security and privacy, both services are willing to sacrifice users’ creature comforts to.
- Tresorit uses shareable client-side encryption which protects data during storage and access and across all devices. We looked at a number of other options, but in the end, we chose Tresorit because it basically ticked all the boxes.
Thanks for your comprehensive review of Tresorit Cloud Storage. I just recently bought a new windows 10 laptop and Microsoft OneDrive provides 5 gigabyte free storage. I am thinking if I do really need a bigger cloud storage. With Tresorit having 100 gigabytes is a good offer. Is there any cheaper alternative out there that offers similar features?
Tresorit is an online cloud storage service based in Switzerland and Hungary that emphasizes enhanced security and data encryption for businesses and individuals. The Business version offers up to 1TB of storage space per user (the Solo version offers 2TB for one user) and extra security features such as DRM, granular access levels and other functions, which Tresorit cites to creating a safer collaborative environment. Tresorit's service is accessible through client desktop software, a web-based application and mobile apps. Currently, the software is available for Windows, macOS, Android, Windows Phone 8, iOS, and Linux.
Tresorit was founded in 2011 by Hungarian programmers Istvan Lam, who remains CEO, Szilveszter Szebeni, who is currently CIO and Gyorgy Szilagyi, who is the CPO of the company.
Tresorit officially launched its client-side encrypted cloud storage service after emerging from its stealth beta in April 2014.
In August 2015, Wuala (owned by LaCie and Seagate), a pioneer of secure cloud storage, announced it was closing its service after 7 years, and recommended their users to choose Tresorit as their secure cloud alternative.
By the end of 2016, Tresorit launched a beta of the software development kit (SDK) ZeroKit. In January 2017, Apple's SDK project CareKit announced the option for mobile app developers using CareKit to integrate ZeroKit, enabling zero knowledge user authentication and encryption for medical and health apps.
Tresorit claims to encrypt files using client-side encryption with AES-256 before uploading them. Files are also secured by HMAC message authentication codes applied on SHA-512 hashes.
'Tresors' (German for safes) are encrypted counterparts of uploaded directories. Tresors automatically sync with the cloud as files are added or removed from them, similar to Box.com and Dropbox's desktop software. The main difference between Tresorit and its competition is that Tresorit applies AES-256 client-side encryption to files while they are still local and then uploads them to the cloud. The company claims that due to its end-to-end encryption, users can share protected files and folders with others and work together on them, keeping the documents synced and secure in every step of the process.[non-primary source needed]There are additional layers of security, but the core privacy feature of the service is that the encryption key never leaves the user: Using Zero-Knowledge encryption protocols, Tresorit is not in possession of the users’ authentication data, so the content of files cannot be accessed from their servers nor delivered to authorities upon request.
In 2013 and 2014, Tresorit hosted a hacking contest offering $10,000 to anyone who hacked their data encryption methods to gain access to their servers. After some months, the reward was increased to $25,000 and later to $50,000, challenging experts from institutions like Harvard, Stanford or MIT. The contest ran for 468 days and according to the company, nobody was able to break the encryption. 
Tresorit has received a number of nominations and awards. Up-Cloud Rewards named it one of the top 5 Cloud security solutions for 2012. Early 2016, Forbes listed Tresorit's cofounder Istvan Lam among the European '30 under 30'. In 2017, Tresorit was listed as finalist in the Cybersecurity Excellence Awards, category Encryption.
- ^'Tresorit Brings DRM To Cloud Data'. Forbes. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- ^Kucan, Berislav. 'Tresorit for Business'. Help Net Security. Retrieved 22 February 2016.
- ^'Our biggest update yet in 2015 – work securely without installing Tresorit, using your browser'. 29 July 2015. Retrieved 11 January 2016.
- ^'Weekend Recap: Intel CEO on iPhone, Handbrake 0.9.9, Tresorit for Mac Teased Mac Life'. Maclife.com. 20 May 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- ^'Management - Tresorit We encrypt - You share'. Tresorit. Archived from the original on 11 June 2013. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- ^Tresorit opens its end-to-end encrypted file-sharing service to the public
- ^Seagate and LaCie spark security concerns by killing off Wuala cloud storage
- ^Wuala cloud storage to shut down, offers Tresorit as potential new home
- ^'0_kit by Tresorit: End-to-end Encryption for Your App'. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- ^'CareKit + ZeroKit: Protect patient data in the cloud'. CareKit. Archived from the original on 12 January 2017. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- ^Hinchliffe, Emma. 'Apple enhances security options for its CareKit apps'. Mashable. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- ^Get 50GB of Free, Encrypted Online Storage from Tresorit
- ^'Cloud Storage Security - Secure Cloud Storage from Tresorit'. tresorit.com. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- ^Tresorit takes on PRISM-provoked worries with encrypted cloud storage
- ^'Here is Tresorit's first transparency report'. Tresorit Blog. 14 December 2017. Retrieved 9 January 2018.
- ^'Secure cloud storage outfit Tresorit posts $10K hacker bounty — Tech News and Analysis'. Gigaom.com. Retrieved 18 June 2013.
- ^Hungarian ‘security freaks’: Hack our startup and we’ll give you $25K
- ^Hackers, Here's a Way To Make An Easy $25k
- ^Secure cloud firm Tresorit boosts hacker bounty to $25,000
- ^UP Cloud Computing Conference-Start Cloud Awards rankings as of October 17, 2012Archived 30 June 2016 at the Wayback Machine
- ^awards UP 2012 - Cloud Computing Conference 2012
- ^'2017 Cybersecurity Product Awards - Winners and Finalists - Cybersecurity Excellence Awards'. cybersecurity-excellence-awards.com. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
Tresorit Free Storage
Tresorit Cloud Storage
Below you can manage your cookie preferences. You can choose not to allow some types of cookies. To apply changes and activate your cookie preferences, please refresh your browser after saving your settings. Please note that blocking some types of cookies may impact your experience and could impede full functionality of our website.
Tresorit Storage Limit
- These cookies are essential for our website to function. They usually enable your movement around our website and services you have specifically asked for, such as setting privacy preferences, or filling in forms. This category of cookies cannot be disabled.
PerformanceWe use third party analytics tools to better understand how visitors use our website, so we can measure and improve the performance of our website. If you do not allow these cookies, we will not know when you have visited our site – which means we will not be able to monitor its performance.
MarketingThese cookies are used in order to better understand user needs and interactions with our marketing communications, such as marketing emails and marketing-based landing pages on the website. If you decide to identify yourself - by filling out a form for example - these cookies may collect personal information about you.
TargetingThese cookies may be set through our site by our advertising partners. They may be used to serve you with relevant advertisements on other web sites and services, and to measure the effectiveness of these advertisements. If you do not allow these cookies, you will experience less targeted advertising.